9.14.2009

Fit for a Gnome - How to Make a Moss Terrarium

Moss terrariums have been popping up all over the place lately and it was love at first site for me. I've been admiring them from a distance since I first noticed them, and finally decided to make one for myself over the weekend.


This was a super cheap project, since I had all of the materials on hand. I have a gorgeous rock in my yard covered in lush green moss, some sweet vintage apothecary jars that we inherited with our first home, and of course rocks and dirt. Here's how I made my little terrarium:

First I gently peeled some moss from my rock and gathered a few stones for decoration.


Then I laid down a layer of small rocks for drainage


Then some potting soil - not soil from where I got the moss in case there were little bugs in it.


And finally, I arranged my moss in billowy little clumps with a few accent rocks, sprinkled in some water and put on the lid.


Here it is all finished and looking pretty doin' what it does. I could get lost in this little mossy place. Now I just need to add some little mushrooms and it will be fit for even the pickiest of little gnomes!


The whole thing took about 15 minutes to make from the time I gathered my supplies to putting the lid on. So what are you waiting for? Hunting for moss for your terrarium is a great excuse to go for a walk in the woods. I would love to see what you come up with if you decide to make one for yourself. I promise you'll be in love, and if your anything like me you'll instantly be scouring etsy for the perfect decorations.

Update: A few things I forgot to mention in my excitement - the best way to water your terrarium is with a fine mist from a spray bottle. You only need to water it about every 2-3 weeks or when the condensation goes away. If you over water by accident just leave the lid off for a little bit to dry up some of the extra moisture.



P.S. If you like what you see here, I'd love it if you'd share!

6 comments:

KALI said...

wow! thanks for this :)
want to try!

Jingle said...

That came out cute!

glenna said...

I've wanted to make a terrarium. It has been on my "to do" list.

Great post Darning Diva!!!

The Fern and Mossery said...

Beautiful terrarium! Check out my blog for tips and links on how to keep it healthy and happy for a long time!

http://www.thefernandmossery.com/

Trish said...

love it! one of these days I'll have to try..

Leslie said...

i am inspired to re-plant and revive my terrariums...this is lovely

Related Posts with Thumbnails