3.25.2010

Chewy No Bake Granola Bars


I started looking for a granola bar recipe a few months back when my daughter took a huge liking to the store bought ones. I didn't like all of the nasty ingredients in the store bought ones, not to mention the price tag, so the hunt began.

I tried a few that required baking and turned out more cakey that anything else. They tasted good, but just weren't what I was looking for. Then I came across this recipe and fell in love! I didn't follow the recipe exactly because I didn't have everything on hand, so I changed it up a bit and thought I would share my altered recipe here.

Chewy No Bake Granola Bars

2.5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/4 cups Rice Krispies
3/4 cup sun flower seeds
1 cup dried fruit (I used mango)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
3 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Mix oats, rice krispies, sunflower seeds and dried fruit in a large bowl. Line 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper. Bring brown sugar, honey, butter, vanilla and kosher salt to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over oats and stir to combine well, making sure to evenly coat the oats mixture. Press firmly into parchment paper lined baking pan. Place in the freezer 10 minutes or until firm. Cut and serve.

This recipe is so tasty and I just love that I know exactly what's going into my daughter's tummy. What's even better is that you can switch it up depending on your mood. In the mood for chocolate? Substitute chocolate chips. Like nuts? Toss them in. The possibilities are endless as long as you keep the dry/"wet" ratio the same.

Enjoy!



P.S. If you like what you see here, I'd love it if you'd share!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails